Tuesday, February 17, 2009

We may not have it all together... but together, we have it all.

I was in Jamestown last week because of a counseling appointment for Sam, and afterward, we took some time to browse the shops in the local mall. There was a little crafty store that sold plaques and candles and rustic-looking home decor that caught my eye, so I warned Sam and Kiki it was a "breakable" store and went inside.

Kiki immediately headed to a display for those peel'n'stick words for your walls ~ I don't know what they're called, but you know what I'm talking about. Since I rent an apartment, I don't know why I was browsing through them, but I'm glad I did. One of the sayings caught my eye and really hit home to me.

"We may not have it all together... but together, we have it all."

My family has been through a lot recently: we had a house fire in November, which meant we had to live with family for a couple weeks and then move into an apartment; Sam's been having medical issues which require several trips all over the place; Sam's also been having difficulties at school with behavior issues lately; I've had to take off from work to deal with the house fire and Sam; Kiki's starting speech therapy today; finances are extremely tight right now; my apartment isn't unpacked or settled yet... it's all just piling on and I've long since hit the point of being totally overwhelmed.

Not having the children's father around plays into it too. While their father was at first completely nonsupportive with Sam's medical issues, he's now coming around to agree that I'm right. But he's also 1,600 miles away right now too, so he's unable to shoulder any of the burden. And I have a feeling there will be more testing and trips in Sam's future as well.

This is why that quote hit home with me. I certainly don't have it all together. My house is in a constant state of disarray. My kids are frequently late for stuff because I'm so unorganized, or I forget about the appointment until the last minute (I've been getting better at that, thanks to my Palm Pilot!). We don't have a normal routine, because it's constantly being disrupted by trips and appointments.

But... we're together. We have our basic needs (food, shelter, clothing, and love) met. Sam and Kiki both know that while I'm not perfect and I forget some stuff, I'm always going to be there for them. They love me and I love them.

It's hard being Super Mom, but I've come to realize my kids don't need Super Mom. They just need me, a super mom.


No comments:

Post a Comment