Sunday, December 28, 2008

Divorced Mommy's New Year's Traditions

Being a divorced mommy means continuing to incorporate traditions from both sides of the family. My ex and I had very distinct New Year's traditions that I plan on carrying on with my children.

My ex's New Year's tradition was to stay up until midnight, no matter how young you are, and to count down the final 10 seconds of the year. I think that's a fairly common New Year's tradition, but when I was a child, we weren't allowed to stay up that late. Frankly, I don't think Sam and Kiki will make it until midnight on New Year's Eve or not. But if they do, we'll count down the final 10 seconds, drink some sparkling grape juice, sing Auld Lang Syne, and then go to bed.



My family's New Year's tradition is for the first morning of the year. The New Year's tradition of eating strawberry shortcake for breakfast started with my great-grandmother. Every New Year's morning, before the Parade of Roses starts, I'm in the kitchen making fresh baked shortcake and whipping fresh cream. The idea is to start the new year out with something sweet!

Strawberry Shortcake Recipe

Shortcake:
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 3 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 cup oil
  • 1 cup milk
Bake at 450 degrees for 12-15 in a greased 8" or 9" square pan.

Whipped Cream:
  • 1/2 pint whipping cream
  • 1/4 cup sugar
Whip with electric beaters until fluffy.

Assembly:

When cake is cooled, cut into 9 pieces. Serve the cake in a bowl topped with frozen strawberries with the juice (thawed) and a generous dollop of whipped cream. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment